Can cellulitis spread?
Without prompt medical care, cellulitis can spread through the body and cause sepsis, a serious blood infection. Seek emergency medical care if you notice signs of sepsis, including:
- Fast heart rate
- Trouble breathing
- Worsening rash or pain
Prompt medical care can prevent serious complications from cellulitis. Oral antibiotics (pills) usually clear up the infection quickly and stop it from spreading. Cellulitis isn’t contagious, so it does not spread from person to person.
- Learn the signs when cellulitis is healing
- Learn how long it takes for cellulitis goes away
- Persistent Rash? It Might Be Cellulitis
- How Long Does it Take for Cellulitis to Heal?
- Learn why you keep getting cellulitis
- Learn why cellulitis happens on your legs
- Learn if cellulitis goes away
- 3 Skin Conditions You Shouldn’t Ignore
- The Most Common Skin Infections Found in Seniors & How to Prevent Them